Smokey Braised Pork with Honey Apple Compote
Made with Cedar Creek Gewurztraminer. Chef Donna Erickson—From Scratch Catering.
Demonstrated at the 2017 Cedar Creek Winery Open House.
• 1 – 3# boneless pork shoulder/butt
• 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
• 1 ½ tbsp fresh cracked smoked sea salt
• 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
• 1 lrg granny smith apple, diced small
• 1 med onion, diced small
• 1 carrot, pealed and diced small
• 1 celery rib, diced small
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 3 rosemary sprigs
• ½ C tomato paste
• 1 C Cedar Creek Gewurztraminer
• 2 C chicken stock
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 4 tbsp honey
• 3 tbsp mascapone cheese
1. Season pork with pepper & salt. 2. In a heavy skillet melt coconut oil. On med/high heat, add pork & sear, browning on all sides. Transfer to the crock pot/slow cooker, reserving the pan drippings.
1. Heat skillet with reserved drippings and add the first 6 ingredients. Cook over med/high heat until vegetables are caramelized (about 7 minutes). Add tomato paste and cook over medium heat (about 2 minutes). Stir constantly.
2. Add white wine, bring to boil.
3. Add chicken stock, vinegar & honey. Bring to a simmer (about 5 minutes) to de glaze the pan of its drippings. Pour apple mixture over the roast.
4. Place lid on the slow cooker. Set dial on low for 6 hours.
5. Remove heat from slow cooker & fork into bite size pieces. Set aside.
6. Whisk the mascarpone cheese into the juices in the slow cooker.
7. Return the pork pieces to the creamy compote.
8. Serve over rustic pasta such as papperdelle.