Steamed Mussels with Leeks and Carrots
by Chef Eric Fix from Out N Out Restaurant & Catering, Cedarburg, WI
2 lb. Mussels, debearded and scrubbed
1 cup Cedar Creek Chardonnay
2 Tbsp. Garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
4 sprigs Fresh thyme
2 Bay leaves
1/4 cup Leek, julienne
1/4 cup Carrot, julienne
1/2 cup Butter
1 Tbsp. Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Combine the mussels, wine, garlic, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, leek, and carrot in a large pan with lid.
2. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Steam until the mussels open.
3. Remove the mussels and arrange them in two large soup plates.
4. Reduce the cooking liquid by half, monte au beurre and pour the sauce over the mussels. The carrot and leek should remain on top of the mussels as garnish.
5. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with Ciabatta bread.
Recipe demonstrated at the 2014 CEDAR CREEK WINERY OPEN HOUSE