1 T – Butter
1 ½ lbs Onions diced + 2 T Sugar
1 T – Chopped fresh rosemary
¾ lb – white mushrooms, diced
¾ lb – crimini mushrooms, diced
3 T – Wollersheim Distillery Press House Brandy
2 – garlic cloves, monced
8 C – Beef Broth or consomme
1 C – Cedar Creek Winery Chardonnay
1 C – cooked rice
1 T – Cornstrach mixed with 1 T water
Salt & pepper to taste
2 C – heavy cream
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot.
2. Add onions and rosemary. Saute for 8 minutes until onions soften. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes longer, until the onions are well caramelized.
3. Add the 2 T sugar and last 10 minutes of cooking to help in caramelization. Remove to a bowl.
4. Melt remaining 2 T butter in the same pot and add both mushrooms and saute for 15 minutes, or until tender.
5. Add Press House Brandy and garlic and stir for 1 minute.
6. Stir in onions, beef broth and Chardonnay. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour.
7. Add cooked rice.
8. Mix cornstarch with water and add to soup and then bring to a boil to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Add cream right before serving.
– by Donna Erickson: Executive Chef and Owner of From Scratch Catering (Demonstrated at the 2018 Open House.)