Short Rib Recipe:
9 pounds Short Rib (boneless)
1/2 cup Soy/Vegetable Blended Oil
2 cups All purpose flour
2 pounds Carrots
1 stalk Celery
2 pounds Spanish Onion
1 bottle (1ltr.) Or 4 1/4 cups Cedar Creek Marquette
4 cups Veal Demi Glace
2 Tablespoons Salt
1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
1. Cut short rib pieces into 5 inch (width) pieces and set in a large stainless steel bowl.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper over short rib and hand mix the pieces to coat them evenly.
3. In a large stock pot add blended oil on medium heat for 2 minutes.
4. Use a small mixing bowl and add flour. Take each piece of short rib and coat the outside and place in the heated oil to sear the outside. (1 minute per side)
5. Place seared short rib pieces in a hotel pan, laying flat and not overlapping.
6. Peel carrots and cut into 2 inch (length) pieces (core removed) and place on top of the short ribs.
7. Cut celery into 2 inch (length) pieces (leaves and all) (core removed) also on top of the short ribs.
8. Peel Spanish onions and cut in half. Cut each half onion into 3 equal pieces and place on short ribs.
9. Add Veal demi glace to 1 quart of hot water and whisk together for 1 minute.
10. Pour mixture into hotel pan over the short ribs.
11. Add 1 bottle Cedar Creek Marquette to hotel pan.
12. Cover the hotel pan with aluminum foil and place in a pre-heated oven at 375 degree for 3 hours.
13. Take short ribs out of the oven and and let rest on a baking sheet for 5 minutes.
14. You can strain the liquid from the pan to use for a gravy if you wish. Add melted butter (4 ounces) and flour (1cup) and whisk together to make a roux. Pour in 4 cups of liquid and whisk until it thickens to a gravy (medium heat, 4 minutes)
15. Plate cooked short rib and top with gravy and add any side you desire, mash potato and veggies like we make at Stilt House for wine dinners!
You can also shred the meat using 2 sets of tongs while hot and use to make Taco’s or put over a poutine, like we do at the Stilt House! Both dishes are on our regular menu.
– by Chef Dave Montemayor from The Stilt House (Demonstrated at the 2020 Cedar Creek Winery Open House.)