2 cup chicken stock
1 shallot, minced
1T olive oil
1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
½ cup currant jelly
1T balsamic vinegar
½ t salt
1. Pour the chicken stock in a large pan and reduce by half over medium
2. Heat a medium sized pan over low heat, add the oil and shallot and cook until soft and transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the cabernet and reduce wine by half.
3. Add the reduced chicken stock to the wine pan and whisk in the currant jelly increasing the heat to medium, add salt and continue simmering for 5 minutes or so, watching for the sauce to thicken a little.
4. When the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat, add the balsamic
vinegar and whisk in the butter in small pieces.
Makes 1 cup. Serve on flat bread (naan) warmed with fig preserves and blue cheese crumbles or on naan with sautéed mushrooms and Morel leek Jack. Also great with a grilled steak!
– by Stephanie Baldwin (Demonstrated at the 2017 Cedar Creek Winery Open House.)